Upgrade a Fender Mustang GT 100 that sounds muffled | Warehouse Guitar Speakers
NOW FREE SHIPPING TO 48 CONTIGUOUS UNITED STATES ON ALL ORDERS!!!

Upgrade a Fender Mustang GT 100 that sounds muffled

Error message

Notice: unserialize(): Error at offset 0 of 22 bytes in variable_initialize() (line 1202 of /home/wgsusa/public_html/includes/bootstrap.inc).
3 posts / 0 new
Last post  |
wgsusa_49549
06/14/2018 1:33pm

Recently got a Fender Mustang GT 100. This is a practice amp, for fun, and I went with the digital modeling because I didn't want to buy 10 pedals to go along with it. For the last 15 years, I've been playing/recording through computer/amp-simulators, so I'm an amp novice at this point.

The Mustang sounds great, to me, when its clean classic tones are partnered with my Fender Strat. However, once I get away from the clean tones, I really start to notice the stock speaker lacks clarity in the high end. I'm not sure if my expectations are skewed because I'm used to playing through audio workstations in which I can control the EQ very precisely. I've changed the global EQ on the amp to enhance the treble but it doesn't cut it. The amp can sound really woofy at times.

I know a guitar amp isn't for playing recorded songs/track but when I play music (from my phone) through the AUX, it really highlights the lack of range of the speaker. I'm not expecting a full hi-fi music experience from the amp, but something is very much missing.

Any recommendations?

wgsusa_49549
06/14/2018 1:36pm

Should note, I like to play blues and I like to play metal but what I typically play is some sort of 80s-ish rock tones.

Narcoleptigon_47048
06/14/2018 6:34pm

My guess is the ET90 or Blackhawk HP. Either should have more bright 4~4.5kHz chime than the stock G12K-100 with the BH HP having a sweeter sort of clarity, and maybe more compression. Weber has some bright 100w speakers, but I don't know how they compare or if they will handle 100W+. The smoothe cone Ceramic 'California 12' (JBL D120 type) and "Michigan 12" (EV12L type) offer and Aluminum dome option for the brightest high end. That can be a bit buzzy with amp distortion, since it doesn't damp square waves as much, but might be just fine with modeled amp overdrive. Either one with a paper or cloth "H" cap might be better. The damped "PolyChrome" cap'd "CV123" speaker is supposed to be a bit sweeter than a Aluminum cap, but there's no demo clip. I suspect the AlNiCo BH HP has a fuller/sweeter upper-midrange, and is possibly more dynamic than those. You may have heard this Ceriatone 'AH 100' amp w/ET90 speakers demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg6bHCkp7MA